Why Did Joe Rogan Go Carnivore?
Joe Rogan started the Carnivore diet to lose weight and find out if it could help him with an autoimmune condition called Vitiligo, which shows itself with white patches on the skin.
This autoimmune disease is caused when your body’s immune system attacks and eliminates your pigment cells .
So, to improve this condition, Joe Rogan started the Carnivore diet in January 2020, and after seeing the results, he went on a strict Carnivore diet focused on ruminant meat for a month.
One year later, in January 2021, he announced that since “January is the World Carnivore Diet Month,” he wanted to try the diet again. He mentioned that he could lose 12 pounds in his previous experience and feel great, so he decided to do it again.
On his Carnivore journey in January 2022, he announced that he wanted to add fruit to the diet and see how it could affect his health. “I’m adding fruit to this diet. Just meat and fruit for the whole month,” he said.
He shared on his Instagram account that after one month on Carnivore, “lots of aches and pains went away” and that he’d experienced alleviated symptoms of his Vitiligo disease.
Interestingly, science backs up Joe Rogan’s Carnivore diet results. A 2021 study of over 2000 Carnivores showed that 89% of participants who went on the Carnivore diet for about six months experienced significant improvements in their autoimmune disorders .
Learn More: What Is Paul Saladino's Diet? All You Should Know
So, what are the other effects of Joe Rogan’s Carnivore diet on, for example, weight loss?
Is Joe Rogan's Carnivore Diet Good for Weight Loss?
Yes, the Carnivore diet can help you lose weight, as Joe Rogan could lose 12 pounds in only 30 days on a Carnivore diet and dropped from 205 to 193 pounds. “Having been fat-shamed several times, I’m proud to say that I lost all my fat around my face, belly, and waist area,” he said.
He has also mentioned that “since weight loss is a huge driver of overall health, it can overwhelm the negatives of restricted eating and be a net positive. Individuals reporting great results from the Carnivore diet will be from weight loss.”
Although the initial weight loss usually is water weight loss, it can continue and help you reach your ideal weight if you keep up the good work. But that’s not all. Joe Rogan’s Carnivore diet can have many other benefits as well.
Learn More: Can I Lose Weight on a Carnivore Diet? How Much? How Fast?
The Benefits of the Carnivore Diet for Joe Rogan
In addition to weight loss, the Carnivore diet has helped Joe Rogan experience more energy levels, manage his autoimmune disorder, lower inflammation, and significantly improve mental health and focus, as he has shared on his social media channels.
But these benefits are not just for Joe Rogan, as various studies show positive impacts of low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diets like Carnivore, for example,
- A 2021 study on 2029 respondents on a Carnivore diet reported health benefits and high satisfaction .
- A 2022 randomized crossover trial showed that the participants who tried a ketogenic diet experienced better glucose control and lowered body weight .
- Different studies show that going on a ketogenic diet can decrease the markers of inflammation and the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Also, a low-carb, high-fat diet can decrease LDL cholesterol levels, which is an important heart disease risk factor .
- A meta-analysis of 11 studies revealed that a low-carbohydrate diet can result in more significant weight reductions than a low-fat diet. The participants who were on a very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet (VLCKD) experienced weight loss and lower triglycerides and diastolic blood pressure. They also experienced increased HDL-C and LDL-C. Additionally, the VLCKD showed better results in long-term weight loss than a low-fat diet .
- A 2020 meta-analysis showed that a ketogenic diet can improve metabolic parameters of glycemic control, weight management, and lipid control in obese participants, especially those dealing with preexisting diabetes .
- A ketogenic diet can change the gut microbiome, which can result in increased folate production and decreased inflammation and oxidative stress. Also, it can boost satiety and lead to epigenetic modifications that help the pathogenesis of NAFLD and enable anti-inflammatory markers at the genetic level .
- By boosting mitochondrial function and lowering oxidative stress, a ketogenic diet helps manage brain metabolism, mitochondrial homeostasis, and inflammation in patients with Alzheimer's disease .
What about adverse effects? Did he experience any side effects from changing his eating habits?
Were There Any Side Effects?
The only significant side effect that Joe Rogan experienced was Carnivore diarrhea during the first two weeks of going on the Carnivore diet, which is a normal reaction of the body to transitioning into a low-carb, high-fat Carnivore diet.
However, some Carnivores may experience other digestive issues like Carnivore constipation, bloating, and keto flu, which appears with symptoms like nausea, vomiting, headache, fatigue, dizziness, and insomnia . Others may experience electrolyte imbalances.
These symptoms will generally fade away after a short while. Drinking enough water helps alleviate the symptoms. You can also take supplements if needed (after consulting a healthcare professional).
So, if you have decided to try Joe Rogan’s Carnivore diet, you need to know what he consumed.
What Meats Does Joe Rogan Consume?
Joe Rogan was on a 2MAD Carnivore, i.e., he consumed only two meals a day, including ruminant meat, salmon, beef tallow, bacon, and eggs.
He had eggs and bacon for breakfast and wild game meat (elk), bison, and steak for dinner. He also enjoyed ribeye for breakfast.
The table below shows the average nutrients in 100 grams of the foods Joe Rogan ate on his Carnivore journey   .
What about veggies? Did Joe Rogan consume any plant-based foods?
Learn More: Carnivore Diet Meal Plan: Your 30-Day Free Beginner Guide
Does Joe Rogan Consume Vegetables?
As Joe Rogan put it, he ate “absolutely nothing but meat and eggs (usually pasture-raised). Maybe some herbs on your ribeye. No vegetables. No fruit. It’s just meat”.
However, he tried adding fruits at some point on his dieting journey but believes that the strict all-meat diet can bring the best results.
The Different Diet Plans of Joe Rogan
In addition to the Carnivore diet, Joe Rogan has tried other diets like Keto and plant-based. He has also tried intermittent fasting but believes the Carnivore diet has been the most beneficial.
In one of his podcasts, he mentioned that it’s hard for the human body to digest carbohydrates, and our bodies are more adapted to a diet including meat and fat.
He also added that not eating enough fat can cause various health problems and affect energy levels, especially in athletes.
If you have decided to try Joe Rogan’s Carnivore diet, you need to consult a healthcare professional first to ensure it aligns with your goals and needs.
Also, remember to drink plenty of water to avoid the problems of dehydration, keep your electrolytes balanced, and alleviate the potential side effects.