- The original version of the Carnivore diet allows only animal products and excludes plant-based foods, carbohydrates, and fibers.
- Onions are not allowed on the strict Carnivore diet due to their carbohydrate and fiber content.
- More flexible versions allow limited amounts of low-carb foods, like onions, especially for beginners who may find it challenging to eliminate carbohydrates completely.
- Onion powder, a dehydrated form of onions, can be used for flavoring in small amounts on a less strict Carnivore diet.
- The benefits of eating onions include adding flavor and phytonutrients, improving digestive health, increasing satiety, offering micronutrients, and bringing variety to meals.
- Onions contain vitamins C, B6, folate, potassium, manganese, phosphorus, and magnesium.
What Is The Carnivore Diet?
To find out if you can eat onions on a Carnivore diet, we first need to learn what the Carnivore diet is and what rules and principles we need to follow on this diet.
The original version of the Carnivore diet is somehow strict and only allows animal products and accepts no cheats!
The strict version of the Carnivore diet excludes all plant-based foods, aims to maximize fat and minimize or eliminate carbohydrates, and is one of the zero-carb or all-meat diets.
Let me list the basic rules and principles you need to follow on the Carnivore Diet.
- Consume Only Animal Products: High-fat and high-protein products like meat, fish, poultry, eggs, and some dairy products ( some versions exclude dairy as well).
- Avoid Plant-Based Foods: Avoid plant-based foods, such as fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, and processed foods derived from plants.
- Avoid Carbohydrates: The original version of the Carnivore diet eliminates or limits carbohydrates, i.e., no sugars, starches, and fibers found in plant foods.
- Consume Fatty Cuts of Meat: The strict Carnivore diet focuses on fatty cuts of meat, as it substitutes carbohydrates.
- Processed Meats: Processed meats like bacon, sausages, and deli meats are allowed on the Carnivore diet, but it’s better to minimize processed foods.
- Dairy (Optional): Some versions of the Carnivore diet allow high-fat dairy products like butter, cheese, and heavy cream.
- Drink Plenty of Water: The main beverage allowed on the Carnivore diet is water, and you need to drink plenty of it. You can also drink bone broth for added nutrients and electrolytes.
Learn More: What Is The Carnivore Diet? Myth vs Fact