Can You Have Garlic Powder on a Carnivore Diet?
Garlic powder is not so different from garlic as both are plant-based products. Anyhow, beginners may add some garlic powder to their meat dishes to change the taste.
It’s no secret that including garlic or garlic powder in a Carnivore diet is your choice, but if you want to get the best results as fast as possible, you need to stick to the rules of a strict Carnivore diet.
How to Eat Garlic on a Carnivore Diet?
If you choose to include garlic in a Carnivore diet, you must consider these points:
- Garlic Powder: Use minimal amounts of garlic powder to add flavor to your meat dishes. You can add a pinch of garlic powder to your meat before cooking.
- Infused Oils: You can make garlic-infused animal fats or oils. Put garlic cloves in a jar of animal fat or oil and let them sit for a few days to infuse the flavors. Use this infused fat to cook meat.
- Garlic Butter: If dairy is allowed on your version of the diet, you can make garlic butter using animal-based fat, such as butter or ghee. Melt the fat and infuse it with minced garlic. Use this garlic butter to flavor your cooked meat.
- Garlic Salt: If you're allowed to consume salt, you can make garlic salt by mixing garlic powder with salt to season meat.
- Roasted Garlic: Some Carnivore versions may allow roasted garlic with cooked meat.
Although garlic is not generally allowed on the Carnivore diet, we know that it contains various health benefits. Let’s review these benefits and check garlic nutrition.
Learn More: Can You Eat Ginger on a Carnivore Diet? Is It Healthy?
The Benefits of Having Garlic on a Carnivore Diet
Here are some of the main benefits of eating garlic.
Garlic has a strong and distinctive flavor, which can enhance the taste of meat dishes, making the Carnivore meals more enjoyable.
Compounds like allicin found in garlic have natural antimicrobial properties, which can add an extra layer of protection against certain pathogens. Additionally, consuming garlic can modulate different biomarkers of various diseases (source). Also, various studies indicate that garlic has antioxidant, antiviral, anti-microbial, anti-fungal, antihypertensive, anti-anemic, anti-hyperlipidemic, anticarcinogenic, antiaggregant, and immunomodulatory properties (source).
Garlic contains various nutrients and healthy compounds, including vitamins C and B6, manganese, and antioxidants.
Some studies show garlic may have positive cardiovascular effects, like improving cholesterol levels and supporting heart health. It also has anti-tumor and anti-microbial effects, and positively affects high blood glucose concentration.(source).
Garlic contains prebiotics, promoting the growth of beneficial gut bacteria, which help overall digestive health.
Some studies indicate that garlic regulates appetite and reduces cravings, which is good for those aiming to reduce their caloric intake and lose weight.
Learn More: Can I Use Turmeric on a Carnivore Diet? Is It Healthy?
- Calories: 149 kcal
- Water: 58.58 g
- Protein: 6.36 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.06 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.1 g
- Sugars: 1 g
- Total Fat: 0.5 g
- Vitamin C: 31.2 mg (52% DV)
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): 1.235 mg (62% DV)
- Niacin (Vitamin B3): 0.7 mg (4% DV)
- Folate (Vitamin B9): 3 µg (1% DV)
- Calcium: 181 mg (18% DV)
- Iron: 1.7 mg (9% DV)
- Magnesium: 25 mg (6% DV)
- Phosphorus: 153 mg (22% DV)
- Potassium: 401 mg (11% DV)
- Sodium: 17 mg (1% DV)
- Zinc: 1.16 mg (8% DV)
Learn More: Can You Eat Sauce on a Carnivore Diet? [The Best Sauces to Eat]
While garlic and garlic powder are not allowed on a strict Carnivore diet, they may contain various healthy components. Avoiding garlic on a Carnivore diet is not because it’s unhealthy but because it may hinder the Carnivore results.
The Carnivore diet focuses on minimizing carbohydrates and increasing the consumption of protein and fat to achieve ketosis and streamline fat melting and weight loss.
If you wish to achieve the best Carnivore results and lose weight quickly, you need to stay loyal to the diet, stick to its rules, and avoid carbohydrates. The more you can follow the rules of the diet, the better results you may get.