- The Carnivore diet focuses on high-fat, high-protein, and low-carb foods to lead to ketosis and make the body burn fat for energy instead of carbs.
- Olives, being plant-based, contain carbohydrates and must be avoided in the strict Carnivore diet.
- More flexible versions of the Carnivore diet may allow plant-based foods like olives, especially for beginners.
- Olives can provide flavor, healthy fats, nutrients, and fiber, but you must eat small amounts of them occasionally as a treat to avoid disrupting the diet's effects.
- Olives are generally keto-friendly due to their low net carbohydrate content; eating them in small amounts cannot stop ketosis.
What Is the Carnivore Diet?
Can you eat olives on a Carnivore diet? Well, to answer this question, we first need to learn about the basics of this diet and its main rules.
The Carnivore diet aims to maximize fat and protein and minimize carbohydrates to create a state of ketosis, where the body burns fat to produce energy instead of carbs.
Simply put, if you don’t eat carbohydrates, your body finds no carbs to burn, so it turns to its fat reserves to produce the energy needed for different bodily functions.
Learn more about the Carnivore diet: What Is The Carnivore Diet? Myth vs Fact
To this aim, the Carnivore diet focuses on consuming high-fat, high-protein, and low-carb foods, meaning that its main sources are animal-based products, including meat, fish, eggs, and certain dairy products.
Plant-based foods like fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes are not allowed in the original Carnivore diet as they contain carbohydrates and fiber, which are unnecessary for the body.
If you think you need fiber, take a look at this article: Constipation on Carnivore Diet: How long it takes? [Cause and Remedy]
Can You Eat Olives on a Carnivore Diet?
Olives contain carbohydrates, mainly in the form of fiber. They also contain some fats, which are substituted with animal fat in the original Carnivore diet.
Based on the definitions in the previous section, the strict Carnivore diet doesn’t allow plant-based foods, but if you’re new to the diet and cannot avoid your favorite foods or carbs altogether, you can eat small amounts of olives.
Just note that adding carbohydrates to your Carnivore diet meals may hinder the results and even cause adverse effects in some individuals.