- The Keto Liquid Diet is a modified Keto diet with a focus on low-carb and high-fat foods but only in liquid form.
- Achieving ketosis is possible with a Keto Liquid Diet, like the regular Ketogenic diet.
- To induce ketosis, you should consume olive and avocado oil and unsweetened almond and coconut milk.
- Sugary and starchy foods are not allowed in this diet because they convert to sugar in the body.
What Is a Keto Liquid Diet?
A Keto Liquid Diet is a combination of a Keto Diet and a Liquid Diet, which focuses on consuming liquid foods and edibles that become liquid at room temperature, like jelly.
Like in a standard Keto diet, when following a Keto Liquid Diet, you should make sure your liquid foods are low in carbohydrates and high in fat .
A Keto Liquid Diet can be a practical method for those who want to lose weight in a short time because it includes no solid foods. It’s also used by people in certain medical conditions, including :
- Preparation for surgery or medical tests to manage and control nutrient intake and medical situations.
- Weight loss procedures like bariatric surgery, for reducing the size of the liver and losing weight before the actual procedure.
- In post-surgery requirements, e.g., gastrointestinal or dental procedures, when you can’t eat or digest solid foods easily, it’s better to try the Keto Liquid Diet.
This diet is not only about consuming liquids, and it has some rules to achieve different goals.
The following rules will help you gain a better understanding of what the Keto Liquid Diet focuses on.
- Only Liquid Foods: On a Keto Liquid diet, you should consume only liquids, such as smoothies, shakes, soups, and juices, or foods like Keto ice creams or cheeses that become liquid at room temperature. It is mainly to absorb lower levels of carbohydrates, calories, and sugar to push the body into the state of ketosis .
- High Fat (70-80%): Most of your daily caloric intake should come from healthy fats. This high-fat content is essential to promote the production of ketones, which are used to produce energy instead of glucose, leading to weight loss.
- Moderate Protein (10-20%): In this diet, you should consume protein in moderate amounts. Excessive protein can interfere with ketosis because the body can convert these excess proteins into glucose through a process called gluconeogenesis.
- Low Carbohydrates (5-10%): Carbohydrate intake should be limited to around 5-10% of your daily nutrient intake. Absorbing fewer carbs can help keep insulin levels low and encourage the body to rely on fat for energy instead of glucose.
The first priority of a Keto Liquid Diet is to push the body into ketosis, but it has other goals, too:
- Weight Loss: A Keto Liquid Diet can be an effective way to lose weight, and it’s because of restricted carbohydrate intake and making the body burn fat for energy instead of glucose .
- Blood Sugar Control: Regulating blood sugar levels is necessary for individuals with diabetes or insulin resistance. This diet can help these individuals prevent hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), reducing the risk of cardiovascular issues and kidney problems by reducing the amount of glucose in the bloodstream .
- Therapeutic Effects: A Keto Liquid Diet can be effective in managing certain medical conditions, such as epilepsy, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), and some neurological disorders like Alzheimer's. It doesn’t mean this diet can be a cure for these diseases, but it can help manage their symptoms .
- Better Cholesterol Profile: This diet can improve levels of HDL (good) cholesterol, triglycerides, and overall cholesterol balance. A better cholesterol profile can cause better heart health .
Following a Keto Liquid Diet can have different benefits.