What Are the Benefits of Low-Carb Beers?
Cutting carbs can have different benefits, including
- Weight Management: Various studies show that low-carb Ketogenic diets and decreasing the consumption of carbohydrates can boost weight loss, which shows itself with water weight loss and continues to fat burning if you stick to the diet and cut carbs   .
- Blood Sugar Control: Different studies suggest that patients following a low-carb diet for six months can alleviate diabetes without negative consequences     .
- Lower Cardiovascular Risk Factors: Studies show that lowering the carbohydrate intake, which causes ketosis, can help patients with type 2 diabetes improve most biomarkers of cardiovascular disease risk after 12 months   .
- Reduced Risk of Hangover: Although the effects of foods on reducing hangovers are not fully studied, research shows that consuming small amounts of complex carbohydrates found in toast or crackers can fight low blood sugar levels in individuals subject to hypoglycemia and relieve nausea .
But the point to remember is that even low-carb beers contain carbohydrates, and if you’re trying to lose weight or reduce inflammatory diseases, it’s better to avoid or minimize beer and other alcoholic beverages.
So, if you are looking for low-carb beers, there are some points you need to pay attention to.
What to Look for in a Low-Carb Beer?
The following tips will help you choose proper low-carb beers based on your carbohydrate consumption and dietary goals.
- Carbohydrate Content: To ensure the beer is low-carb, check the nutritional values on the label to find the total carbohydrate content.
- Calorie Count: Check the calorie content of the beer and choose low-calorie options if you aim to lose weight.
- Alcohol by Volume (ABV): The ABV shows the strength of the beer. Although low-carb beers have an ABV similar to regular beers, you should know the alcohol content to consume in moderation.
- Ingredient List: Check the ingredient list to see if any special brewing techniques or alternative ingredients were used to achieve lower carbohydrate content.
- Reviews and Recommendations: Reviews from beer users in online platforms, beer festivals, or recommendations from friends can be valuable sources of information to help you find high-quality, low-carb beers.
- Food Pairings: Consider how the beer you’re buying pairs with different foods to use with lower-carb options.
- Personal Preferences: You can find low-carb options in a light lager, a hoppy IPA (India Pale Ale), or a rich stout.
So, based on these tips, let’s find the 10 best low-carb beers and 10 best low-carb non-alcoholic beers.
Learn More: The No-Carb No-Sugar Diet: Everything You Need to Know
The 10 Best Low-Carb Beers
The 10 best low-carb beers containing alcohol include:
- Budweiser Select 55 Premium Light
- Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
- Yuengling Flight
- Shiner Ruby Redbird
- Miller Lite Lager Beer
- Lagunitas DayTime IPA
- Natural Light
- Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty Lo-Cal IPA
- Busch Ice
- Allagash Saison
To help you compare better, the following table shows the carbohydrates, calories, and ABV in a 12-ounce serving of the above low-carb beers.
Budweiser Select 55 Premium Light
Budweiser Select 55 Premium Light is a low-calorie and low-carbohydrate beer produced by Anheuser-Busch. The "55" in its name means it has only 55 calories per 12-ounce (355 ml) serving.
Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
Michelob Ultra Pure Gold is a beer produced by Anheuser-Busch and made with organic ingredients, making it another low-carb option.
Yuengling Flight is a light beer produced by D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc., an American brewery.
Shiner Ruby Redbird
Shiner Ruby Redbird is a seasonal beer produced by the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas. It’s a limited-edition brew released during the summer months, including the infusion of grapefruit and ginger.
Miller Lite Lager Beer
Miller Lite is a popular American light lager beer produced by Miller Brewing Company, a subsidiary of Molson Coors Beverage Company.
Lagunitas DayTime IPA
Lagunitas DayTime IPA is a low-alcohol India Pale Ale (IPA) produced by Lagunitas Brewing Company. It is a "fractional IPA" or a "session IPA," meaning it is light on alcohol in addition to being low-carb.
Natural Light, abbreviated as Natty Light, is a brand of light beer produced by Anheuser-Busch, a major American brewery.
Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty Lo-Cal IPA
Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty is a low-calorie India Pale Ale (IPA) produced by Dogfish Head Craft Brewery.
Busch Ice is a brand of ice beer produced by Anheuser-Busch, a prominent American brewery. It undergoes a process called fractional freezing to increase its alcohol content.
In fractional freezing, the beer is cooled to temperatures below freezing, and as the beer gets colder, the water in the beer freezes, forming ice crystals. The ice is then removed so a more concentrated beer with higher alcohol content remains.
Allagash Saison is a Belgian-style saison beer produced by Allagash Brewing Company, based in Portland, Maine.
The 10 Best Low-Carb Non-Alcoholic Beers
The 10 best low-carb non-alcoholic beers include:
- Drop Bear Yuzu Pale Ale
- Partake Brewing IPA
- BrewDog Nanny State
- Surreal Brewing Company Natural Bridges Kölsch Style
- Big Drop Brewing Reef Point Craft Lager
- Partake Brewing Pale Ale
- RationAle Brewing West Coast IPA
- Athletic Brewing Lite
- Athletic Brewing Co Lite
- Brewdog Non-Alcoholic Punk AF
The table below shows the carb, calorie, and sugar content in a 12 fl oz. serving of the above non-alcoholic beers.
Drop Bear Yuzu Pale Ale
Drop Bear Yuzu Pale Ale is a non-alcoholic IPA that tastes a blend of zesty yuzu citrus, tangy grapefruit, and floral hop flavors.
Partake Brewing IPA
This non-alcoholic IPA is made from Cascade, Amarillo, and Citrus hops. It contains a taste and smell of sweet florals and honey on a light, bubbly body with dominant notes of grapefruit.
BrewDog Nanny State
BrewDog's Nanny State is a low-alcohol beer originally brewed as a protest against the high alcohol by volume (ABV) restrictions on beer in some countries. It has a bold and hoppy flavor but contains low alcohol levels.
Surreal Brewing Company Natural Bridges Kölsch Style
Kölsch beers are a mix of lager and ale brewing styles with a light, crisp-tasting brew, and a clean finish. It has a malty flavor with notes of honeydew.
Big Drop Brewing Reef Point Craft Lager
Big Drop Reef Point Non-Alcoholic Lager is a refreshing beer with minimal alcohol content. It contains aromas of freshly baked bread, subtle floral hops, and a hint of citrus.
Partake Brewing Pale Ale
Partake Brewing is a Canadian company that produces non-alcoholic craft beers. One of their popular products is the Partake Pale Ale.
RationAle Brewing West Coast IPA
RationAle beers are generally lower in calories, carbs, and sugar than alcoholic beers.
Athletic Brewing Lite
Athletic Brewing Co. is known for producing non-alcoholic craft beers, and "Athletic Brewing Lite" is a variant of their non-alcoholic lineup.
Athletic Brewing Co Lite
This classic light beer is low-carb and non-alcoholic, with a gold medal won at the World Beer Awards.
Brewdog Non-Alcoholic Punk AF
This hoppy beer is brewed with monk fruit, providing slightly sweet notes of tropical fruit and pine.
To wrap things up, let’s answer some of the most frequently asked questions about the best low-carb beers.
Learn More: The Best Dairy-Free Protein Shakes for Weight Loss and Muscle Gain
What Beer Is 99% Carb-Free?
Steinlager Ultra Low-Carb is known to be almost 99% free of carbohydrates.
What Beer Is 80% Less Carbs?
Pure Blonde is known to contain 80% fewer carbohydrates than regular beers because it is brewed longer to break down more natural sugars.
Is Heineken Low-Carb?
While Heineken beer is not sold as a low-carb beer, it contains moderate amounts of carbohydrates like most traditional beers. But its different versions contain varying levels of carbohydrates.
For example, Heineken Silver contains about 3.2 grams of carbs, and Heineken 0.0, the non-alcoholic version of Heineken beer, is a low-carb beer with about 4.8 grams of carbs.
Is Corona Beer Carb-Free?
No, Corona beer is not carb-free, and similar to most traditional beers, Corona contains carbohydrates derived from the grains (usually malted barley) used in the brewing process.
Corona Light contains about 5 grams of carbs and 99 calories, but each 12 fl. oz. of Corona Premier beer contains 2.6 g of carbs, 90 calories, 0.7 g of protein, 0 fat, and an ABV of 4.0%.
Is Corona Beer Keto?
While regular Corona beer is not Keto-friendly due to its high carbohydrate content, its low-carb version, "Corona Premier," can be a Keto-friendly option.
Is Guinness Low-Carb?
No, Guinness is not a low-carb beer; it contains about 18g of carbohydrates in each pint.
What Is the Strongest Beer with the Lowest Carbs?
- Michelob Ultra: 2.6g of carbs, 4.2% alcohol content
- Yuengling Flight: 2.6g of carbs, 4.2% alcohol content
- Miller Lite Lager Beer: 3g of carbs, 4.2% alcohol content
Are the Low-Carb Beers Good for the Keto Diet?
They can be, but if you aim to lose weight, you need to avoid or minimize consumption.
The best low-carb beers can be a good choice for those who are starting low-carb diets or trying to lose weight by decreasing or minimizing their carbohydrate consumption.
But please remember that carbohydrates are not the only important factor in weight loss. You should also consider the calorie content in foods and drinks you consume.